Thursday, December 20, 2018

The Soultakers by Christina L. Rozelle (The Treemakers Book #2)

Genre: Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic
Rating: 5/5 stars

Joy and the others are getting settled in Zentao, which Smudge has told Joy is an underground augmented reality. The threat of being attacked is real, and Joy has a few days to come to terms with the shocking news of her pregnancy. While she is getting closer to Mateo, she also still has feelings for Jax. When tragedy strikes and they must make an escape, they lose loved ones and Joy ends up in a place she did not expect...
I read the first book in this series quite a while ago and was impressed with the story. It is a very unique dystopian/post apocalyptic series, and I found the book to be very engaging. I have no idea why I waited so long to pick up the second one! This book really sort of blew me away. First of all, it's quite gritty and dark--I love that about it. So many times when I read books I get the impression that the author was holding back as they wrote or something so as to not offend people's sensibilities (and for traditionally published books, there is certainly a lot of censorship that goes on). There are a lot of truly disturbing things that happen in this series, and while it means that this book is probably not suitable for children, it does make for a powerful story. The characters are broken down and put through the ringer over and over again, but they are overcomers. They don't have that hero complex that so many authors want to insert. It's just a thrilling story of survival and family. The setting is rich, and I feel like the way things unfold makes the book very engaging. I can't quite follow everything, and not everything makes total sense to me logically (like for example, Lord Daumier wants "Lilly" to be both fearful of him but also act like she's happy to marry him. I don't really understand how that's possible... It seems like two totally different demeanors.) A lot of the AOAI stuff makes my head spin, and sometimes it all seems a little too convenient, but I love what it adds to the story.
I LOVE this author's work, and I will definitely be investing in more of her books. <3 I have already started on book three. I can't wait to see what happens!

Purchase HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment