Monday, December 24, 2018

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher (Book 3: Dresden Files)

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: 5/5 Stars

Something is stirring up the spirit world. Ghosts are becoming bolder, nightmares are breaking into people's minds, and the lives of the people in Chicago are in danger. After dealing with a baby-murdering ghost in a hospital, Harry learns that something is causing the veil between the Nevernever and the real world to become weakened. He has to figure out how and why it is being done so that he can put a stop to it. In the meantime, he must deal with the ghost of a particularly vindictive demon that he and his posse killed some time ago. Harry must also deal with the Red Court vampires at the same time. His friend Michael and his family, Murphy, and several others are in grave peril unless the veil can be restored and the nightmares tamed.

I enjoyed this book because it is the first time we really get to see what the "Nevernever" is like. Dealing with ghosts and spirits is quite frightening actually, and the terror that Harry, Murphy, and the others experience is easily felt in these pages. It's very interesting to me that even demons can leave behind ghosts. I loved the introduction of Michael in this book -- I found his over-the-top righteousness to be a humorous foil for Harry at times, but I didn't find Michael's character to be annoying or irritating in any way. I'd honestly love to see more of him.
The politics with the vampire courts was honestly very confusing to me, and the plot of this book kept getting more and more complicated as the book went on (it was a little hard to keep it all straight at the end.) I find it irritating that Harry gets into so much trouble by defending innocent lives, when the vampires are clearly totally in the wrong, despicably evil. Lea is an absolutely fascinating character. I know Harry sort of hates her, but I find her actions interesting. What happens to Susan in this book is pretty sad, and I look forward to seeing if/how that resolves.

Love this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment