Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: 4.5 stars

I've had this book recommended to me so many times by so many people. I finally got the time to sit down and read it. Reading this book was certainly a very pleasant experience. I was one of those people who was under the impression that geisha were essentially high-class prostitutes, so I am glad I read this book because I learned a LOT!
The characters were all interesting because the culture, of course, that time and place was so different from America in 2018. The way things are described is beautiful, and I was able to paint a wonderful picture in my mind of Gion and other areas of the book (especially her hometown).
I particularly liked the character of Nobu. He was much different than everyone else, and I found myself laughing at what seemed at first like cynicism and grumpiness. But really, he was just not buying into the whole geisha thing. And after a while, I sort of began to agree with him. I do understand the system a little better now, but I don't think I will ever be able to appreciate it fully. They are essentially entertainers, but it's semi-sexual even though they are NOT prostitutes. It's a little confusing to me why they would be of such value and these men would pay so much money to see their favorites. Buying one's virginity makes more sense (even though it's atrocious) as does the paid mistress thing (dannas). Some of the scenes near the end with Nobu, the Chairman, and the Minister made it all make slightly more sense. They seemed to play some fun games and sit around and relax and drink and have fun. I guess I just don't understand why it was all so fancy and structured. Is it because "normal" women had better things to do like take care of house and kids? It came across as unnecessarily hedonistic and wasteful. Anyway, I suppose that's the point of the book--to introduce foreign ideas to us.
One of my only complaints with this book is that the Translator's Foreword gave me the impression that this book was based on a true story. I understand that was the intention, and it definitely affected how I read the book (I agree that it wouldn't have been as good if I hadn't thought Sayuri was a real person.) If I'm being honest, I felt a little manipulated and disappointed in the end though. The story itself was engaging enough, although I felt like the ending was less interesting than the first part of the book, and it wasn't quite as satisfying as I was hoping. Sayuri seemed to lack a certain drive, and I can understand why that might be (she felt trapped and just did what she had to do.) Nobu (a bright spot in the book) also pointed out her lack of drive. I kept feeling like the things that happened to her were mostly due to luck (and the big reveal at the end made things more clear, but I still felt as though Sayuri sort of just floated through life).
Although I did like how the Chairman was weaved throughout the story, I never really quite understood Sayuri's obsession with him. He seemed nice enough, but I felt like their time together at the end was sort of rushed. (I suppose that was due to a lack of conflict. Things were so wonderful at that point it would have been boring.)
I loved Mameha and hated Hatsumomo, and the storylines with Nobu and Pumpkin really did elicit some feelings of sadness and regret. (I was honestly very irritated with Sayuri for how she treated Nobu, although I can understand her position. The heart wants what the heart wants.)
This book was definitely thought provoking, and I am glad to have read it!

Purchase HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment