Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Island Life Sentence by Carrie Jo Howe

Genre: Contemporary Women's Fiction
Rating: 3 stars 

This book is a bit outside my normal genre, but I decided to try it anyway.
Peg is a forty-something woman who has just moved to Key West "with" her husband Clark. They recently sold a business and have a bit of money coming in, so neither has to work. But as soon as they get there, Clark leaves for a consulting job in Cuba, promising he'll be back in a few weeks.
Weeks turn into months, and Peg is having a really tough time acclimating. The weather is totally different, and she keeps encountering crazy problems. Her best friend Trudy visits her but ends up leaving in a Med-chopper.

Overall, this was a light, enjoyable read. I do feel like the majority of the wit and humor didn't quite reach me. Maybe it was because the main character is so totally different than me. She has no children but treats her dog like her child. She is used to Chicago, not the southern humidity. I never could quite relate to her. Now, her friend Trudy on the other hand was a pretty enjoyable character! I found her to be interesting from the first time she appeared in the book. 

SPOILER:
I also found it quite funny that Trudy hated Clark from the very beginning. It was pretty clear from the beginning that Clark was cheating, and I think her attitude toward him provided good clues for that.

END SPOILER
I did feel for Peg as the book went on. Things that were truly out of her control kept happening, so it's not like she brought her problems on herself. She does come across as a little ditzy though.


This would be a good read for people who are a bit closer to the age of the main character I think.
Not a bad read overall. 


Purchase HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment