Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Death Cure by James Dashner

Genre: Dystopian/Thriller
Rating: 4/5 stars

This entire review contains spoilers, so read at your own risk.
I'm not entirely sure what I think of the way this series ended. First of all, I will begin by saying that I DID really enjoy this book. The entire series has a way of sucking you in. It's compelling and it elicits lots of emotions. This last installment was not nearly as exciting as the Scorch Trials, but I did appreciate that we at least got a resolution.
Of course, there are still things that are not entirely clear to me. I also found it a bit irritating that Thomas never got all of his memories back. It's not that I blame him. I understand that knew getting them back would only be painful, and I also understand that there was no way he was able to trust that they weren't in fact installing new, false memories into his brain instead. But still, I don't know that I could have made the decision to not get the swipe removed. Knowing things and having a good understanding of what it true/real seems too important. He never really seemed interested in conferring with the others about what they learned when the swipe was taken away from them either. Brenda was a potential wealth of information as well, and I feel like Thomas showed an odd lack of interest in speaking with her about things. Again, I can sort of understand that. I suppose it was part of his character development to sort of let go of the need to understand everything (he was very curious in the first book especially.)
I was sad about what happened with Newt, and his death seemed totally meaningless to me. Just another horrible thing that Thomas had to do/endure -- and this time it was not a variable.
I'm so torn about Teresa, and in so many ways I feel like Thomas was not fair to her after she locked him in the gas chamber in the last book. They were friends and grew up together; Thomas knew that was true from his dreams. But he became totally unforgiving toward her and never got over that. I found that truly tragic, and it was one of many frustrating and upsetting things about this book.
The main frustration of this entire series is that I still don't quite understand why this was all done. Of course I get that they were doing research of the subjects' brains and each variable was thoroughly researched and then the responses were studied, but how does that help fight a virus in the brain? Did they subject them to endless cruelty because they believed that mimicked what the virus was doing in their brains--attacking with no mercy? It's something that I will be thinking about for some time I am sure.
I am ultimately left feeling a little unsatisfied, but I will certainly read the other books in this series. I am glad that Thomas, Minho, and some of the others finally got some peace at least. To be honest, I always like Brenda better than Teresa, so I'm happy that they ended up there together. I also appreciated that WICKED was in some small way redeemed in the end. This book seriously will make the reader question everything, and that's such an awesome thing. :-)

Purchase HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment