Monday, October 15, 2018

Loving Your Child Too Much by Tim Clinton and Gary Sibcy

Genre: Christian Parenting
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

I'm always eager to read child psychology/discipline books that have a Christian perspective. I picked up this book because I sometimes get the impression from my husband that I am not "hard enough" on our children and that I need to adjust my parenting style a little differently in order to raise healthy children.
The book presents three main types of parenting that can be damaging to children: overprotection, overindulgence, and overcontrol. I was interested to know which of the three categories I fit into (if any). I was surprised to find out that I don't truly fit fully into one category. There are certain things that I do/habits I have gotten into that fall into all three categories in fact. It was helpful to read through the chapters and realize that these attitudes and behaviors were actually forms of overprotection, overindulgence, or overcontrol. I think the best thing this book has done for me is to open my eyes about some of these things. Parenting has us constantly adjusting to how we relate to and deal with our children. It's different for each child, and it differs from day to day.
(My children seem to have very easy temperaments, so we have been very blessed. I want to make sure that some of my behaviors are not going to cause them long-term problems with life and relationships though.)
About half of the book contains more general parenting advice (like how to tell what the temperament of your child is and how to adjust parenting accordingly). There seems to be a good mix of general advice and actual techniques you can use.
My only complaint with this book is that it seems just a little unorganized. I think it would have been better to have divided it up into larger sections and focused on the three O's separately. There were three chapters in middle of the book covering these parenting problems, but the rest of the chapters were all mixtures of things. It jumped around a bit, making a little hard for me to stay focused and really grasp the concepts sometimes.
I do think this book is worth reading for any parent. It has advice for a range of ages (0-18+), so it will be one parents can read a few times throughout the years as their children's needs change.

Purchase here on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment