Monday, August 20, 2018

The Vernal Memory by J.N. Chaney

Genre: Sci-Fi/Dystopian
Rating: 4.5/5

In the conclusion to this series, Terry is with the group of rebels known as Garden, along with Lena Sol, a former analyst of Everlasting. When Jinil learns that Terry's sword is made of one of the only materials that can defeat the sentinels, they go on a mission to secure more of it.
Meanwhile, Mei and her team are working hard to enhance the Lantrix inoculation to make a more permanent cure to Variant. When Mei goes missing, John begins to question everything about Everlasting. As more and more attacks occur, John, Mei, and Terry must continue to fight for survival and decide who they can trust.
I have loved every moment of this series, and this book is no exception. It was a quick read for me, but maybe that's because I was so excited about finding out what happened. Thinking back on the development of the characters and plot, it's amazing to see how far everyone has come. Terry, John, and Mei have gone from isolated children to explorers of not only one world but two.
There were still questions that were unanswered (For example, why were the two worlds so genetically similar? Especially since they are not only different planets but presumably different universes?), but I think every good sci-fi book does that to an extent. The Variant characters seem very strong but also very similar in the way they think and act. I thought the addition of the people of Everlasting at this point in the series was wonderful -- especially Master Gel (we needed a good villain at this point in the series!) I thought Ludo and Ysa were charming, and the other "natives" were wonderful as well. This is such a rich world with so much potential. I do think it was a good place for the series to end, and it allows me to imagine things afterward, although I would have loved to see a reunion between Terry and his family. SPOILER: It thrilled me to see that not only did they continue in their search for knowledge on Kant but also on Earth as well after Everlasting fell.

A wonderful ending to a wonderful series that I would recommend to anyone interested in dystopian or sci-fi. I look forward to reading more from this author. 



Purchase here!

No comments:

Post a Comment