Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Shadow Play by Jill Ramsower



Genre: Fantasy/ Paranormal 
Rating: 4/5 stars




Rebecca is living in New York when she starts thinking seriously about a career change. When her application is accepted at a museum in Belfast, Ireland, she and her best friend and roommate, Ashley, hop on a plane. Immediately, Rebecca starts encountering strange men and even more surprisingly, strange creatures. She is soon thrown into the world of Fae, meeting people who tell her strange, wonderous, and sometimes conflicting things. Where does she fit into all of this? Can she survive among the monsters?

I picked up this book because I am in a Karen Marie Moning dry spell at the moment after finishing High Voltage. I thought I would give it a try since it's set in Belfast. I did find the beginning to be very similar to the KMM books. (Girl from America comes to Ireland and discovers the world of Fae) but the similarities do seem to lessen as the story progresses. The first third or so of the book has a paradoxical combination of a fast/choppy pace while actually being quite slow. It is understandable since it's the first book in the series. It does pick up though, and I really enjoyed how the Fae lore seemed ubiquitous throughout humanity's history -- including Arthur, Guinevere, and Merlin, Tatiana and Oberon, and other historical figures (which makes sense since Fae are immortal). There were a few new types of Fae that I had never heard of, and the sexual tension between the main character and the two hunters was done well.
That being said, the editing does need some work. This book has a lot of potential if some of the issues can be fixed. I thought that there was a bit too much that was "in-your-face" explained when it didn't have to be, but there was actually a lack of physical scene-setting descriptions. I have no real idea of what Belfast is like after reading this book, and that is something I would have loved to have gotten a feel for.

I do think I will read the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment