Sunday, August 13, 2017

Dark Experiments by Lana Campbell

Genre: Paranormal romance/mystery
Rating: 4.5/5
Tiffany Peebles has just gotten a job as an IT tech at a small OBGYN vampire clinic. Her dear friend, Christian is one of the doctors there. Their chemistry has been off the charts for many years, and they both know that eventually they will have to figure out how to define their relationship, especially since they will be working closely together. As if their relationship issues were not stressful enough, a series of miscarriages occur at the clinic, and the doctors scramble to figure out what is causing them before more deaths occur...

I accidentally read this one before the first book (Forever and a Night), but it ended up not being a problem. I was able to follow along well, and I had no problem feeling an investment and a love for the characters.
I really LOVED this book. It's quite long, but it was written well (despite the fact that the editing/proofreading could have been better) so I didn't become fatigued with reading it: I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened! I was truly fascinated in particular by the addition of faith into this book. Christian, Tiffany, and her family members talk about God, salvation, prayers, and faith in general throughout the book. This is something totally unique - I have never encountered a vampire book like this. Generally, vampires are treated as abominations in literature. In some places (like Buffy) they are actually demons that have inhabited the bodies of dead people. I love it when authors do unexpected things!
There were other things in the book also gave a fresh take on the genre - vampires are actually able to have children, they mate for life, and blood bonding between mates unlocks a few notable powers.
This story had romance, mystery, and intrigue! I was really on the edge of my seat as the book progressed. I kept second guessing myself, and I was surprised with how things turned out. The single aspect of this book that I didn't enjoy as much was the sex scenes. I really liked Christian and Tiffany's relationship in general, though! 
I have the first book, so I will definitely be reading that one asap.
AWESOME job, Lana Campbell! <3

Purchase the series here:
Book 1: Forever and a Night
Book 2: Dark Experiments
Book 3: Deadly Secrets (coming September 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment