Thursday, October 31, 2019

The Onyx Hourglass by Kristy Nicolle



Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 5/5 stars




Hades and Xion travel the world in an attempt to find the book of the dead to resurrect Sephy. Luce agrees to help them attempt a resurrection, though Thane and others warn them that what they are attempting is dangerous. Pandora and Anubis hatch up a plan to use Luce to resurrect Ra, and Luce is drawn deeper and deeper into the darkness.




I always enjoy reading Kristy Nicolle's books, and this one was wonderful just like the rest. This world is easy to get sucked into. One of the things I like about these books is the way the POV is done. Sephy is the "main character," but Luce, Xion, and Pandora might as well be considered main characters as well. I am not a huge fan Sephy even still, but I often find myself thinking about things she has done and said, and I realize that the "imperfect/disliked" character is often the one you learn the most from. I like relating to the main character, but it's a nice change of pace to not relate to her. One of the things that upsets me the most about her is how she is handling her relationship with Xion--it seems very unfair to him. I can see, though, the conflict that Sephy has about it. I am hoping that they can get their happily ever after (though from what Hades has said, that seems unlikely.)




SPOILERS:

.

.

.

I found it very sad when Hades was killed, and I think he is my favorite character! I love the sass and the wit so much! I am interested to find out what, if anything, he can do from the Higher Plains to help Sephy and the others. I'm hoping we get to see more of what happens in that realm in the next book -- and maybe even see Zeus himself, the big loser.

I was less sad about Thane's "death" because I was getting so frustrated with her while reading this book. I realize that we see inside Luce's mind, and thus we judge her on her motivations, but honestly, Thane really disappointed me with the way she handled Luce's issues.

I am also interested to see how afterlife will be run now that the Mortarian sun has gone out. Can it even exist for long without Hades? Does Sephy have to take over? I think it's possible Pandora has bitten off more than she can chew. And Anubis just needs to die already.

There were some very well-written scenes in this book that elicited some great emotions. I was practically crying when Luce had to sacrifice a goat. I also really felt Luce's pain when she found Thane dead on the chair.

.

.

.

END SPOILERS




I'm definitely heavily invested in the story now and will be snapping up the last of this trilogy as soon as it is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment