Tuesday, February 12, 2019

One for the Money by Janet Evanovitch

Genre: Mystery/Humorous
Rating: 5/5

I remember seeing the movie "One For the Money" come out a few years ago and then seeing that it was based off a rather popular book series. At the time I was a busy college student, so I never looked into it. For the last few years, I have seen the books at thrift stores and library sales. I was finally convinced to give the series a try after three separate people told me the series was "so funny/hilarious." Truly humorous books are difficult to find, it seems. I rarely laugh at anything. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong books. This series seems so odd at first glance. A young skip-tracing woman in the ghetto of New Jersey? It seemed at first like it might be a bit trashy or something. I went ahead and started out with the audiobook version. I am glad I gave this series a chance! It was delightfully wonderful! I may try to read the second one to see if the books come across the same without the wonderful narration by C.J. Critt.

First of all, this book was just FUN! It is one of the most  entertaining books I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. I will admit that I didn't belly laugh as often as I wished, but the situations were truly amusing and entertaining. The main character, like Harry Dresden in the Dresden Files series, is a hot mess--totally broke, witty and sarcastic, unfiltered, kind of hotheaded at times, and really fun to follow along. She tries her hand at skip tracing out of desperation, attracted by the possibility of earning $10,000. It's such an absurd idea, since she is going after a man accused of murder, but she's a native of the area, so I suppose she is used to the culture and the danger, etc. The situations she finds herself in are pretty funny, and the narration makes the story bright and lighthearted even though there is a lot of violence and sleaze in the book. There's a ton of language and talk of sex (though there are no actual sex scenes). I have no idea why I love this book so much. The writing makes it fun, and the narration made it irresistible!
I love the Joe Morelli character, and I also love Ranger. Heck, I loved all the characters! I will definitely be reading the rest of the books in this series! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment